AI in hiring has become a relevant topic as generative AI technologies such as ChatGPT become mainstream. With these platforms, candidates can leverage AI for job applications, including using AI for their cover letters and CVs.
These have several implications for the hiring process. Although the process may be getting streamlined, there are growing recruiters’ concerns about using AI in recruitment.
Usage of AI in Job Applications
Job seekers are increasingly using AI to help them with their job applications. ChatGPT is one of the most popular AI tools for job applications, but there are many others available.
Here are some of the ways that job seekers are using AI for job applications:
- Writing cover letters and resumes: AI can help job seekers write cover letters and resumes that are tailored to specific job openings. AI can also help job seekers to identify the most relevant keywords to use in their applications.
- Preparing for interviews: AI can help job seekers prepare for interviews by providing them with practice questions and answers. AI can also help job seekers to identify their strengths and weaknesses as candidates.
- Taking assessments: AI can create and administer assessments to job seekers. These assessments can be used to assess a job seeker’s skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Attitudes Towards AI in Hiring
More and more companies are catching on to the use of AI in job applications. Some companies are even using AI to screen job applications and identify the most qualified candidates.
The general public is responding to the use of AI in job applications in a variety of ways. Some people are concerned that AI could lead to discrimination in the hiring process. Others are concerned that AI could automate the hiring process and make it more difficult for job seekers to find jobs.
However, many people are also optimistic about the use of AI in job applications. They believe that AI could help to make the hiring process more efficient and fair. They also believe that AI could help job seekers find jobs that are a better match for their skills and interests.
On social media platform X (formerly Twitter), people share their thoughts on using ChatGPT for job applications.
Overall, there are mixed attitudes toward using AI in hiring. For some, ChatGPT has simplified the hiring process, leading to job offers and streamlined tasks.
However, some people doubt the efficacy of ChatGPT as it can lead to applications sounding robotic or automated. This causes applicants to not stand out as many others have also used AI to optimise their job applications.
In terms of companies, Monzo warned job applicants against using ChatGPT, an AI platform that can generate text. Monzo added a disclaimer to its job ads, stating that applications with external support will be disqualified.
This move shows that companies are becoming aware of the potential for AI to be used unfairly in hiring. Job applicants should always be honest about their qualifications and experience.
Pros and Cons of AI in Recruitment
There are both pros and cons to using AI in hiring, and job seekers should weigh these carefully before making a decision.
- AI can help job seekers to save time and write better cover letters and resumes.
- AI can help job seekers to identify the most relevant keywords to use in their applications.
- AI can help job seekers prepare for interviews and identify their strengths and weaknesses as candidates.
- AI can help job seekers to find jobs that are a better match for their skills and interests.
- AI-generated cover letters and resumes may not be as authentic or personalised as human-written applications.
- AI may not be able to accurately assess a job seeker’s skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- AI could lead to discrimination in the hiring process.
- AI could automate the hiring process and make it more difficult for job seekers to find jobs.
Additional Tips for AI in Hiring
Here are some additional tips for job seekers who are considering using ChatGPT or any other AI application for job applications:
- Use AI as a tool, not a replacement for human effort. AI can help you write better cover letters and resumes, but it’s important to review and edit the output of AI tools to ensure that it is accurate and authentic.
- Be careful not to overuse AI. If you rely too much on AI, your applications may start to sound generic and impersonal.
- Be aware of the potential for discrimination. AI tools are trained on large datasets of data, and this data may contain biases. It’s important to be aware of these biases and to take steps to mitigate them.
- Be transparent with potential employers. If you use AI to help you with your job applications, be honest with potential employers about this.
There are both pros and cons to using AI in hiring. Job seekers should carefully weigh these before deciding on whether or not to use AI. If you decide to use AI for job applications, use it as a tool, not a replacement for human effort. Be careful not to overuse AI, and be aware of the potential for discrimination